Never miss an update!










Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm attempting to have a book published. Publishers pay attention to writers who have an audience. If you want to help me, click "follow" on this page or on Facebook. Then, YOU will be my audience!








Tuesday, February 9, 2010







I love Valentine’s Day. Okay, I love almost all holidays. But Valentine’s Day is such a good excuse to eat sweets and treats and chocolate! Each year, I like to make the boys a new treat to say “I love you.” So… we made homemade chocolate truffles. Yummy! Even my (non-chocoholic) husband loved them. His reaction: “Wow! How’d you do that?” Below you’ll find the directions. This is an easy way to make something great for your loved ones.

Here’s how:

Shopping List (including approximate price)
1. Cake mix (any flavor. I used strawberry.) $.88
2. Can of cream cheese frosting $1.54
3. Chocolate Almond Bark (find near chocolate chips) $2.56
4. Wax paper $1.97
5. Treat bags (optional, find near Wilton products in craft area) $2.50
6. Sticks (optional, same as above) $2.00
7. Ribbon (optional)
Approximate cost: $11.50

Directions:
Make approximately 40 truffles.

1. Prepare and bake cake according to directions on box.
2. Let cool completely.
3. Break into crumbs and stir in the can of frosting.



4. Roll into balls.
Okay, it looks a little like hamburger meat
in this photo. I promise, these aren't meatballs, but similar idea.



5. Refrigerate balls until cold.
6. Melt two or three squares of almond bark according to directions on package. (This cools and rehardens quickly, so just do a few squares at a time.) And do NOT let any water drip in. Make sure your bowl, spoons, hands, etc. are totally dry! (Learned that the hard way.)

One of my helpers thought it was a giant candy bar.


7. Coat cake balls with chocolate and place on wax paper to dry.


The pops are a little trickier. And in spite of all my efforts, some still fell off the stick. If you’re looking for the easiest thing to do… skip the sticks!

8. Use the treat sticks to form a hole in the balls. Don’t go all the way through. Move the stick gently in a circular motion to enlarge the hole.



9. Drizzle a little bark into the hole and gently insert the stick. Squeeze the cake ball closed around the stick.

10. When cool, cover with chocolate. I coated a large spoon liberally with bark and the spun the stick. Think of the “proper” way to eat spaghetti.

11. Place stick end into a cup or glass on waxed paper to drip/dry.

12. Place truffle end into treat bag and tie with ribbon.


Original idea courtesy of Bakerella.

6 comments:

  1. We tried these yesterday too :)
    I got messy in the process ( the bark does dry VERY fast!) ... but it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to try this for MY non-chocoholic husband! And the strawberry cake is HIS favorite!!!!!!!!
    EXCELLENT idea! You are just SO smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janie, you could also use Candy Melts if he'd rather not have chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard from some people who tried the treat and were unprepared for the filling consistency. So, maybe better call them cake bites so when you give them away, people will be prepared for the cake center!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Brittni! Those look AMAZING! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't help myself! I made another batch today. And we used yellow cake and also chocolate cake. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete