Never miss an update!










Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm attempting to have a book published. Publishers pay attention to writers who have an audience. If you want to help me, click "follow" on this page or on Facebook. Then, YOU will be my audience!








Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanks from a Softy

I’m a softy. I know my husband would agree, but I think about the reaction my kids had to our World Vision project and I can’t help getting teary-eyed. Thanks to the help of generous friends and loved ones, the boys met their goal...and then some!

To raise the money, the boys manned a cupcake stand during our neighborhood yard sale and sold some of their toys. They went with their Pa to collect and recycle aluminum cans. They helped bake 60 cupcakes, thirty cookies, and a couple truckloads of buttercream! (It’s a dirty job, but somebody’s gotta do it, right?)

As a result, they were able to pour over the World Vision catalog and pick out more things to give! We watched a World Vision video on malaria (did you know malaria kills 2000 children a day?) that tugged on each boys’ heart—mine too! In the end, we raised enough money for 1 goat & 2 chickens, a share of a well, bed nets for a whole family (to prevent said malaria), and two soccer balls for needy kids!

Equally as exciting, the boys are asking to do more to help those in need! Next on our to-do list is Operation Christmas Child!

So often our kids (and ourselves) get caught up in “me” that they forget the great needs of others. Thanks to World Vision’s videos and resources, I was able to show our kids why people can’t just shut their doors and windows to keep mosquitoes out—why they need help from us. Thanks to your generosity, my guys are excited about helping others.

Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brittni,
    I am in my 60's and having a go a Twitter, so not sure I am doing things right. Anyway read with interest the story of your boys raising money for gifts from World Vision. What wonderful boys.
    I bought WV gifts for my family for the first time this year and what a wonderful feeling. I sponsor two children and waiting on my third. I just love doing it, and hope my grandchildren will understand when they get a card with their WV gift along with their usual Christmas present. They have far too much, so I spent less on them this year, but still made it up by buying things like a duck, chickens and feed, et. Also bought for my children as well. I hope your boys keep up their good work.

    Regards
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, Thanks for sharing your story and taking time to read ours! How did your family like their gifts?

      Delete
  2. We're about to sponsor our first child through Compassion Int'l. and we've been doing the Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child boxes for 3 years! We give gifts and surprises and we provide food to friends, etc., but still I think we can do more, so we will see what God leads us to next!

    What a blessing you and V are being for your boys. Training them in the ways of true service and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, We did our first OCC this year and really enjoyed it! Our guys really were pleased to pick out gifts for kids who needed them!

      Delete