Never miss an update!










Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm attempting to have a book published. Publishers pay attention to writers who have an audience. If you want to help me, click "follow" on this page or on Facebook. Then, YOU will be my audience!








Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Heavy Load

Several years ago I was startled by television coverage of the scene following a suicide bombing in Israel. The camera panned over a group of people who were wailing out their hurt as tears plowed down their faces. It echoed scenes from Biblical times where those who were mourning ripped their over-clothes and covered themselves with ashes.

Although such behaviors seem strange, the pain behind the actions still resonate with those who have experienced the searing knife of grief. Perhaps the odd behavior is actually in smiling when one does not feel happy. In masking sorrow behind easily exchanged platitudes. In asking how someone is and hoping they will not answer honestly.

The Bible offers hope to those laboring under a mound of grief, regardless of how they choose to demonstrate it. Matthew 11:28 addresses the soul-weariness that accompanies sorrow. Jesus says, in Matthew 11:28, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”

Have some grief, sadness, or burdens you're carrying? Be reassured—you aren’t alone. Join with me in allowing Jesus to fulfill the promise He made. I could use some heavenly rest. How about you?


Just for fun, here's a song by John Schlitt (who was the lead singer for Petra). This is an oldie (my kids would consider the '90's ancient) but it speaks to this topic and it makes me smile, so here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4820Jn015A

No comments:

Post a Comment